Monday, November 21, 2011

On a Sandwich

     The end of the semester is coming up, things are getting hectic, there are papers to write, and things to be done. I've been going here and there, running all over to get things done and to see people I haven't seen for a long time. To top it all off, I'm getting ready to seriously embark on a writing project, not something for school, something for me. But with all this going on, the only thing I'm really inclined to write about, strangely enough, is a sandwich I had last night.
     A friend of mine swung by last night after work and brought me a sandwich, an event which I knew was going to happen. It was a BL sandwich, more commonly known as a BLT. You see, I've got this love hate relationship with tomatoes. First of all, they lied to me. As you know, they're a fruit, but they spent my entire childhood masquerading as a vegetable, and there's an old expression saying that you're judged by the company you keep. Well, based on the company that tomatoes keep, they're totally vegetables. Other than trust issues, I hate the tomato as a whole, but love the things it turns into. I can't get enough marinara sauce, or spaghetti sauce, or pizza sauce, or ketchup, or so on, but the tomato on it's own is a vile imposter.
     The sandwich had all sorts of virtues, not the least of which was excellent timing. (Virtues for people and sandwiches are completely different in case you didn't know.) I had had almost nothing to eat all day, so when that sandwich was delivered I was starving. The sandwich was also crafted with impeccable breadsmanship. The toaster of these particular slices must have magic hands, because they were just toasted enough to not soak up the mayo, but was soft enough to not insult the roof of my mouth. Speaking of the mayo, it must have been dished out by the very same hands that crafted the clouds, because the gentle way in which that tangy spread stretched across the corners of it's floury universe was a part of some greater plan. And then of course there's the matter of the lettuce to bacon ratio. These two essential sandwich pieces came together like the sea and the shore, the very border between these two radically different things was just an estimate, an ever fluctuating boundary between the crispness of the bacon, and the wholesomeness of the lettuce.
     I could go on and on about this sandwich, speak of the angle of it's cut, the curve of it's crust, the aroma of it's parts, or the heat of it's passion. But to capture a sandwich like this in words does it a bit of a disservice, since the eye and the tongue, while often working in unison, don't always enjoy the same things. A treat for one might be an inconvenience for the other. So feel free to stop reading now and indulge the fancies of both the eye and the tongue in whatever way you feel fit.

7 comments:

  1. Tasty piece of writing! I love the analogies and how they have tension built in..."These two essential sandwich pieces came together like the sea and the shore, the very border between these two radically different things", awesome and inspiring. That is one of the things I have enjoyed about the "blog" format; we each can see crafts and styles on a weekly basis from many different people. Yours are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget about Dan's beast point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this a lot. It made me think a lot about my lack of sandwich, so I corrected that by the time I had finished. I think you should write like this more often, it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should consider writing for a food magazine. My mouth is watering right now and it looks like I have 8 minutes to get my butt down to Trax and grab a snack to remedy the rumbling you just caused to occur in my stomach. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished eating lunch as I finished reading this. It was a turkey-bacon flatbread from the Union Grille and some KFC potato wedges. I can't describe my feelings for it as well as you could for your sandwich (except the cost -- I have plenty of flowery words for that).

    Just one thing: last paragraph, "its," not "it's."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was pretty funny... are you going to have sex with your sandwich? If you say no then I'm gonna feel really awkward. I, by the way, feel as though you are selling tomatoes really short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Elizabeth, No, sandwiches don't have the legal right to consent, so any sexual activity between me and a sandwich would be rape.
    @Patrick, is it not possible that I used the "its/it's" that I wanted to, but you just misinterpreted my meaning? After considering this question, perhaps you'll think twice about passing judgement on text that is not necessarily designed to adhere strictly to antiquated grammatical doctrines.

    ReplyDelete